Thursday, November 02, 2006

If I Were GM

Chuck Gormley posts today about what he would do if here were named general manager of the Flyers. Most of the steps he lays out make sense, and he tacks on a good bit of humor at the end ("7. Give myself a fat raise.").

This got me to thinking about what I would do were I named general manager of the team. There are so many changes that could be made, it's difficult to know where to start. What's more important -- the product on the ice, the fans' experience with that product, or the fans' perception of that product?
  1. Hire John Buccigross as a "Bob." The first thing I would do would be to hire ESPN's John Buccigross as a consultant to the team. Give him complete access to everyone attached to the organization -- from the Delta Denta Ice Team all the way up through the corporate ownership -- and one mission: to determine what's the best way to reconnect with one of the best fan bases in the NHL. Anyone who reads his column knows he has a singular love for the game that is just aching to be put to use. What is everyone waiting for?

  2. Keep John Stevens as head coach. In fact, I would sign him to a three-year deal right now, with the promise that there will be an extension if the young guns come around and the team performs.

  3. Find a goaltender. I would make mission for every scout in the organization to find a young goalie who has the potential to be a dominant number one goalie. The team has not had one since the heyday of Ron Hextall almost 20 years ago. Niittymaki, I think, will be a solid goaltender who has a chance to really good. I want someone who will be great. I want Miikka Kiprusoff.

  4. Dump Robert Esche. He has no future in the organization. Get rid of him before he becomes a problem -- again. Offer him to Columbus -- maybe Doug MacLean would be stupid enough to trade Gilbert Brule for him.

  5. Waive Derian Hatcher. I don't need to explain this move at all.

  6. Deal with Peter Forsberg. See if he will give a hometown discount and re-sign for two years in the $4 million range. If not, trade him for a package of draft picks and prospects. This is a headache waiting to happen.

  7. Retire Brian Propp's jersey. Propp is my all-time favorite hockey player, and is third on the Flyers' all-time points scored list, along with being second in both goals and assists. He is a member of the Flyers Hall of Fame, but does not have his #26 retired. This is a travesty that needs to be corrected.

Comments on "If I Were GM"

 

post a comment