Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Nonis Mouths Off


"I think we have a free agency age that is a joke," said Nonis.
Speaking before the British Columbia Chamber of Commerce, Vancouver Canucks GM Dave Nonis let fly with his feelings about the free agency and the league's collective bargain agreement. I can certainly see his side of things, where teams invest a ton of dollars into the development of players only to run the risk of losing those players just as they enter their primes. From a fan's perspective, this argument also holds a lot of water. On the other hand, I think I completely agree with Eric McErlain's take on the matter:
Then again, asking players to delay free agency for a period longer than seven years after being drafted seems excessive to me. Think about having to wait seven years before getting a shot to choose your employer and negotiate the best deal you can make.

I don't know about anybody else, but it makes me sick. Seven years is long enough.

Comments on "Nonis Mouths Off"

 

post a comment