Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Esches concedes starting role; Hitchcock puzzled

Flyers goalie Robert Esche has conceded the starting playoff role to Antero Niittymaki.

"The writing is on the wall," Esche said. "[Hitchcock] hasn't said anything to me, and I really don't know what's going to happen, but I'll bet you right now that [Niittymaki] is the starter and is going to be the starter for the rest of the year."

After reading Esche's comments, it appears that he hasn't conceded anything. To me, he's merely stating his opinion that he thinks Niittymaki will be the starter. I have no idea why he would do this; it seems very counterproductive. It lets the media know that there is a very prominent player that is unhappy with his status on the team, not to mention that fact that it makes Niittymaki play while looking over his shoulder instead of completely focused on his game. Goalies are a fickle breed to begin with -- sort of like pitchers in baseball. The last thing they need is to worry about is what the other guy has to say about them and how they're playing -- which is exactly what will happen the second that Niittymaki falters. The media won't go to him to find out what happened. The first person they'll go to is Esche to see what he thinks about who should be playing. This does not seem like the actions of someone who is putting the team first.

Okay, breathe.

Meanwhile, coach Ken Hitchcock remains steadfast with his assertion that he hasn't reached a decision yet.

"He is voicing his opinion, but unfortunately, for him, I have not made up my mind. I am sitting here, and one week I am going one way, and the next I'm going another, and maybe that is me. I can't make up my mind.

"If I had some 42-year-old dog that is up in Toronto [Ed Belfour], it might be an easier choice. But I don't. I have a tough choice and have to figure it out."

Unfortunately, I actually agree with Esche that Niittymaki will be the playoff starter. Where I disagree with him is that I think Niittymaki should be the playoff starter. Calder Trophy for an AHL championship? Check. Olympic gold medal finalist and silver medal winner? Check. Olympic MVP winner? Check. Strangely, Robert Esche has accomplished none of these. He backstopped the Flyers to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2003-2004 -- while riding the coattails of Keith Primeau, thank you very much -- and that's about it. My money's on Niittymaki. Hopefully, Hitch agrees.

Comments on "Esches concedes starting role; Hitchcock puzzled"

 

post a comment