Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Random Thoughts

As promised, it's Tuesday and here are my Random Thoughts of the day:
 

1.  How do you let Todd Zeile get a bunt single against you?  Todd Zeile, for cripe's sake!  150-year-old Todd Zeile!  Yet, the Phils did just that during Sunday's loss to the Mets.
 
2.  If you have watched a recent Phils' game on TV, you have to have seen the McDonald's ad with a guy in the bleachers complaining about his obstructed view (due to the large man seated in front of him).  The first guy goes on to make an analogy between the large man – whom he calls "Mr. Big Head" (no, I'm not lying) – and "Frankenstein's spawn."  This irks me to no end.  The creature Dr. Frankenstein raises from the dead in Mary Shelley's novel has no name, and is usually referred to as simply "The Monster."  Even if you have only seen the various movie versions of the novel, you would know that the creature has no name.  I'm also irked here by the "spawn" implication.  The creature was not Dr. Frankenstein's son and had no relation to him whatsoever.  To boil it all down, I just want new commercials being shown.  I'm tired of the same ones over and over during every game.
 
3.  I'm trying to come up with a name for my fantasy football team.  We have been limited to using band names, though this is a loose limit.  Basically, it can be anything musical.  However, I like the band name idea was thinking of using fictional names.  The problem with this is that the only ones I can come up with are CB4 – which I am using now, Stillwater, and Ellen Aim and the Attackers – which I won't use for the obvious reason.  (I also can't use it because it won’t fit into the block of characters we're allowed.)  So, I'm asking you, my loyal readers, for any suggestions you may have.  Send in something good and it'll be used.

Comments on "Random Thoughts"

 

Blogger Matt said ... (4:48 PM) : 

I suppose my point is that the cynic in me has reared his ugly head and assumes that most people don't know that "Frankenstein" isn't the name of the monster, and is mad that they blindly accept what McDonald's has to say -- about literature. Though, at this point, I wonder how many people even know that it was a book to begin with.

Also, I'm bothered that "it's conventionally accepted shorthand to call the Monster 'Frankenstein.'" Frankenstein was the doctor, not the creature! THE CREATURE HAS NO NAME!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:08 PM) : 

What's the answer to Chris's question? I'm too lazy to check Amazon.--Mrs. SC

 

Blogger Matt said ... (8:55 AM) : 

"The Modern Prometheus." And, for the record, I didn't know it.

 

Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said ... (9:31 AM) : 

As far as the football team name, it begins and ends with "The English Beat." Every time you are the visiting team, the matchups will say "The English Beat The Violent Femmes." A better psyche out move? I think not.

 

post a comment