Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Bonus Answer

Well, judging by the flood of responses I got from my last post, I suppose I'll just have to give you the answer to the bonus question. (Though, if you watched the AFI's 100 Greatest Movie Quotes special on CBS last night, you should know the answer.)

To refresh, the question was:

The title to this piece ("Play it again, Sam") is a sly -- thank you very much -- joke about the umpires missing calls. Can anyone tell me what the joke is?


And the answer is . . .

No one in the film Casablanca ever says "Play it again, Sam."

Rick says: "You played it for her, you can play it for me. Play it!".

Ilsa says "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By.'"

The line "Play it again, Sam" appears in the Marx Brothers' A Night in Casablanca (1946).

(Answer courtesy of the Internet Movie Database.)

Comments on "Bonus Answer"

 

post a comment