Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Random Thoughts

1. Is it really too much to ask for Chris Wheeler to be fired posthaste? I turned on tonight’s game against Houston -- my first in almost a week -- and had to listen to his whining and, well, just his plain-old annoying personality. As my niece would say, "Icky."

2. Is there any better time to enjoy making fun of others -- and being made fun of yourself -- than a draft for a fantasy league? I had mentioned before that I had joined a fantasy football league. Our draft was last night and after every pick -- no matter who made it -- there were at least three insults about that pick. Fabulous.

3. My brother Chris has a theory that fantasy leagues in effect deteriorate a fan’s interest in his own team in favor of those individual players on his or her fantasy team. While there is some common sense to this point, I have always countered with the argument that fantasy leagues serve to increase my interest in a given league. Well, I have now come up with another argument: after watching the Eagles embarrass themselves the past three seasons in the NFC Championship Game, I had no reason to watch football. However, after participating in our fantasy draft Monday night, I am now ready for the season to start. I couldn’t care less what the Eagles do -- not because of the fantasy league, but because of the Eagles themselves -- and am very interested in what goes on in the rest of the league. Let’s go Colts!! (I have Peyton Manning.)

4. Is there any point to watching more Phillies’ games? The bullpen has just coughed up yet another game. The fielders have no life whatsoever, and what heart they do have -- Chase Utley -- isn't used by his inept manager. Said manager has done a complete 180 and is now more serene than a yoga teacher. Why am I wasting my time and money on this team?

Comments on "Random Thoughts"

 

Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said ... (9:20 AM) : 

In reference to #4, I quote Red Forman: "because you're a dumb ass!"

Wheeler is a joke, so he fits this team to a tee.

The draft was a laugh-riot. Probably more fun than the season will be.

I agree with Matt. I am more of a fan of the entire league when I am rooting for several players, not just the Broncos.

 

Blogger Matt said ... (12:02 AM) : 

Chris --

I'm looking forward to the revisions. As for your question, I have no idea. Since I consider myself both a sports geek (I do participate in fantasy league for three sports) and a sci-fi geek (I can tell you that the actor who played Wedge in the original Star Wars trilogy is Ewan McGregor's uncle), I am in no way, shape or form "cool." Sigh.

My one theory would be that sports are viewed as cool -- no matter how peripheral one's involvement in them may be -- whereas intellectual activities are not. Take a look at high school. Who's more popular -- the starting quarterback or the captain of the chess team?

 

post a comment