Monday, March 01, 2004

Say it with me: OH-ver-RAY-ted!

All due respect to Middie Back!, but I have a major problem with the Return of the King winning big last night at the Oscars. The prevailing logic that I had read about going into last night’s ceremony was that ROTK should win to honor the whole trilogy. Excuse me? The Academy Awards are held yearly so as to honor each year’s films. If you wanted to honor the trilogy, then you should have voted for each film to be that year’s best picture.

The second argument I have to combat those who think “the snobs got it right” is to ask how one can justify singling out ROTK as a Best Picture winner when all three movies in the trilogy were filmed at once? Seriously, shouldn’t a situation like this have its own category?

I must confess that I have yet to see Return of the King and have only seen about half of The Fellowship of the Ring (having slept through the rest). I did see all of The Two Towers, though, and can emphatically say that I would rather watch paint dry. Movies that rely way too heavily on special effects don’t really do it for me. I mean, after awhile, don’t you feel like you’re just watching a giant computer game that you have no control over?

As for who I would have given Best Picture to, I honestly can’t say. The only one of the five nominees that I saw was Mystic River, about which I entirely agree with Boats Against The Current’s take. Of the rest of last year’s movies, there were so few memorable ones that I don’t think I can come up with a deserving winner.

Comments on "Say it with me: OH-ver-RAY-ted!"

 

post a comment