Thursday, February 19, 2004

He did it again

Once again, I'm so frustrated about something I can't see straight. Flyers GM Bob Clarke has pulled the trigger on another awful trade, this time sending potential top 2 defenseman Jim Vandermeer, prospect Colin Fraser, and a second round draft choice in 2004 to Chicago in exchange for center Alexei Zhamnov and a fourth round draft choice in 2004.

Zhamnov is 33 years old, has missed 35 games this year because of back surgery, and -- of course -- will be a free agent on July 1, 2004. As I mentioned earlier, Zhamnov has played all of 17 playoff games in his 12-year career.

I grant the premise that Clarke needed to do something about getting a center, but I submit that Zhamnov is not the answer. I would rather have seen the Flyers go get Carolina Hurricanes center Ron Francis, a player who is older than dirt -- 41 -- but has played in 159 playoff games, with 139 points and won two Stanley Cups.

All this being said, I'll still root for the Flyers, though I think come June they'll be playing golf and not hockey. Mark my words, I see another first round exit on the horizon. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm right.

Comments on "He did it again"

 

post a comment