Monday, August 21, 2006

You're My Boys, Blues!!

After watching a healthy portion of this year's World Cup, I got to talking soccer with my friend Vinnie. (Vinnie grew up playing soccer and has followed it on and off ever since.) I know next to nothing about it, so naturally I turned to him. I couldn't get over how exciting the games were, especially the semi-finals and final. Our conversation grew more interesting when we found out what Bill Simmons had done. It turns out this is exactly what we wanted to do!! After some research by Vin, we decided to adopt Everton as our English Premier League -- commonly known as the Premiereship -- team.

By Vin's reasoning, Everton was a middle-of-the-road team that has a whole lot of history but usually doesn't threaten for the title. This worked for us so that we could never be accused of frontrunning (I'm talking to you, ManU fans!) and we also wouldn't have to worry about our team being relegated. So, after picking a team -- and even setting up a team in the Yahoo fantasy soccer game -- we set about looking forward to the start of the season.

Well, what a start it was!! Everton opened with a 2-1 win at home -- known as Goodison Park -- over Watford. It was Everton's first home opener win in better than 10 years. The win puts them in a tie for 6th place with Reading and Newcastle, behind Manchester United (1st), Chelsea (t-2nd), Portsmouth (t-2nd), West Ham United (t-4th), and Bolton (t-4th). The Blues next face Blackburn on Wednesday.

*For those of you wondering, the Latin on the banner -- "nils satis nisi optimum" -- loosely translates as "Nothing but the best." Not a bad motto, if you ask me.

Comments on "You're My Boys, Blues!!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 PM) : 

Haven't dropped by your blog in a while and thought I'd leave a comment. I try to avoid sports at all costs but I think I watched every match of the World Cup that I could. (Germany got had!)

 

Blogger GM-Carson said ... (7:48 PM) : 

It's still baseball season my man, and it's just heating up for the Phils!

 

Blogger Matt said ... (1:44 PM) : 

Corinne -- Germany got had, the US blew, and Zidane is nuts. I found myself rooting for Ghana, actually, after they advanced from group play. How awesome would that have been if they had knocked off Brazil? Oh, well. Thanks for stopping by.

C&C -- Take a look above, as I've just posted about the Phils. Will wonders ever cease?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:20 PM) : 

Fantastic headline.

 

Blogger Matt said ... (1:24 PM) : 

Chris --

Thanks.

 

Blogger Matt said ... (11:39 AM) : 

Taffodil--

Thanks for stopping by. I'm gonna miss working with you.

 

post a comment