Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Flyers Pass On LeClair

In today's column, the Inquirer's Tim Panaccio reports that the Flyers will not be making a waiver claim on John LeClair.
Holmgren said the Flyers considered signing John LeClair but had decided against it.

"I know John is a good guy," Holmgren said. "But I think at the end of the day we felt we would be taking a step back and taking someone's ice time who has a chance to get better... . I didn't think he was a guy who would really help us right now."

Holmgren said LeClair needed more than the 11 minutes of ice time he averaged in Pittsburgh to get better. What about Kyle Calder? He's averaging 14 and has no goals. Could LeClair take his spot?

"We're sort of hoping Kyle Calder will come around and get better," Holmgren said.
Okay, two things here: first, I can't believe this, but I'm actually going to agree with Holmgren. Bringing LeClair back would be a waste, and it would rob someone of ice time who could actually improve his game. Second, we "sort of" hope Calder will play better? If that's analogous to "I sort of hope I go home and find Rachel Weisz in bed waiting for me," then I couldn't agree more.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Flyers Pass On LeClair"

 

post a comment