Friday, February 18, 2005

Enough already

I thought I was finally done with the NHL this season, and then this story breaks.

Compared to what Bob McKenzie had to say on Wednesday morning before the cancellation of the season, he seems very optimistic about this meeting:

There is a possibility that the deal may already be done insofar as there's not much point in getting back together again and having public negotiations on Saturday. I would have to think at this point, the NHLPA knows exactly what would work for the NHL and the NHL knows exactly what would work for the NHLPA.

I'm not saying it's a mere formality that they'll get together on Saturday and get it done but I would have to think both parties know each other's position pretty well at this point. That's what the back channel communications do.

But at the end of the day, by labour law, the bargaining units for the NHL and the NHLPA must conclude this deal so it will be an interesting Saturday I'm sure.


UPDATE (10:45 pm): The Hockey News is now reporting that there is a deal in principle that would include a $45 million salary cap and games played this season. Don't hold your breath, but things seem pretty optimisticat this point. I certainly feel a lot better than I did the past couple of days.

Comments on "Enough already"

 

post a comment